Well, only some content management systems. For instance, I enjoy using Movable Type as a content management system for my blog. However, if I can’t do something with MT, there is always the option of logging directly into my host server and solving the problem that way.
Not here at work! No sir! In an effort to unify the departments under the Vice Chancellor of Student Affairs, they have decided to use Microsoft Content Management Server (2002). This is another way of saying “conformity.” So, using this system, all departments and offices beneath the VCSA are required to use the same template. Sounds okay so far… But this system requires you to edit your website within the content management utility, which requires you to only edit things within the provided parameters.
Currently, I have the assignment of creating a website for Welcome Week, which is a series of events and programs to get students back into school spirit. Well, whatever. Great. So, to make less work for myself, I created all of the pages I wanted to create in Dreamweaver, hoping that I could simply copy the code over once I was logged into the content management system.
This is still going fine. However, I find out that “Create New Page” makes every new page you create linked on the page you decided to create a new page from. Apparently there are these things called “channels,” which normal people on normal servers would call directories. So, after over an hour and a half of futzing with this stupid online utility, I realized that I could not create a new channel, and thus, had to delete all of the pages I had just created, because I did not want all of them linked on the front page.
On a normal server, I would have just had to navigate to the directory and type “mkdir welcomeweek2005.” This would have taken me, at most, 2 minutes, and not an hour and a half.
But I digress, and I swear I’m not plotting to plant a giant magnet under the content management server.
Edit: Oh, I forgot to add that, just to make things better, a virus wiped out a bunch of the login accounts data on the content management server, so the admin of the server logged me in using his info.
And I still couldn’t create a new “channel.”